Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Rambling: Confrontation is NOT Always a Bad Thing


















Had a much needed "confrontation" of sorts at work today - something that has needed to be done (also something that has caused many sleepless nights over the past few months). I feared having this confrontation, but when it was happening I realized that it was nowhere near the big deal I anticipated.

Lesson learned: sometimes you just gotta put yourself in uncomfortable situations. It is crazy how much I learned about dealing with difficult and stubborn people just by putting myself in this situation today.

Also, instead of sitting at my desk during lunch and scarfing down my food, I have been bringing my lunch, eating it at my desk (ok, sometimes still in a rush), then heading outside for 30-40 minutes an reading in the sun (or fog, I am in SF afterall). I have been reading (and re-reading) "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff". While some chapters seem to be filler or simple fluff, others have proven to invaluable with how I am trying to see life....Telling myself that life is not an emergency. Also, the author recommends the following when feeling anxious: think about whether the matter at hand will really matter a year from now. Chances are it will not. Of course, things one's your marriage, etc. are exceptions - not the rule.

Looking forward to the weekend, and it's only Wednesday. Went to Chow this past weekend, a great go-to eatery/bar in the Castro. Heading to Park Chow this week for a much-needed one-on-one dinner with my friend Laurel.

That's it for now. Hasta la proxima.

TS

No comments: